Summer is the perfect season to unwind and enjoy the warmth of the sun with a glass of your favourite wine. Whether you’re hosting a barbecue, lounging by the pool, or simply relaxing on your patio, a well-chosen wine can elevate the experience and make it even more enjoyable. In this blog post, we will explore a selection of summer wines that have become the personal favourites of our founder. These wines have been carefully chosen for their refreshing qualities, vibrant flavours, and ability to complement the sunny days of summer. So sit back, pour yourself a glass, and let’s dive into the founder’s top picks!
- Rosé: The Quintessential Summer, Wine Rosé wines, have experienced a surge in popularity in recent years and for a good reason. With their beautiful pink hues and crisp, fruity profiles, rosés are the epitome of summer wine. Our founder’s go-to rosé is a semi-sweet Ontario VQA rosé known for its cherry, raspberry, and candied lime zest aromas. It pairs wonderfully with fried shellfish, appetizers like salads, light snacks like popcorn, roasted peanuts, chips, etc, or simply sipping while enjoying a sunset.
- Sauvignon Blanc: Crisp and Zesty white wines, Sauvignon Blanc takes the crown for its bright acidity and vibrant flavours. Our founder prefers an Ontario VQA Sauvignon Blanc, bursting with notes of tropical fruits and citrus with a soft acid backbone. This wine is fantastic for outdoor gatherings, as it pairs exceptionally well with fresh garden or seafood pasta, grilled asparagus or roasted chicken.
- Grigio: A Classic Summer Staple Pinot Grigio/Gris is a classic choice for summer, known for its light-bodied nature and crisp, clean flavours. Our founder enjoys an Ontario VQA Pinot Gris, characterized by its citrusy and almond-like notes with a hint of minerality. This wine is incredibly versatile and pairs excellently with various summer dishes, from light kinds of pasta to grilled chicken and even creamy cheeses.
- Chardonnay: A Touch of Elegance For those who prefer a fuller-bodied white wine, Chardonnay is an excellent choice. Our founder gravitates towards an Ontario VQA Chardonnay, with its aromas of honey and delicate apricot enticing you to taste the smooth and buttery barrel tastes against a bouquet of fresh melon fruit. The end includes gentle and warm coconut and caramel tastes with a lift of ripe melon. This wine is perfect for more substantial summer meals, such as grilled lobster or roasted chicken, and adds a touch of elegance to any occasion.
- Pinot Noir: A Red Wine for Summer While red wines are often associated with cooler weather, certain varietals can be enjoyed during the summer months. Pinot Noir, with its medium body and soft tannins, is a prime example. Our founder favours an Ontario VQA Pinot Noir, which exhibits sour cherry and tart cranberry game with copious supporting tannins, this wine’s life will undoubtedly be extended, developing those enticing game and mushroom flavours. Whip up a pumpkin and feta salad and splosh a generous amount of this pinot in a glass—the perfect mid-week wine for red wine lovers., and even charcuterie boards for summer picnics.
As the temperature rises and the days get longer, it’s the perfect time to explore and indulge in these delightful summer wines. Whether you prefer the crispness of a rosé, the zesty flavours of Sauvignon Blanc, or the elegance of a Chardonnay, there’s a wine on this list to suit every palate. So go ahead and raise a glass to the season and savour the refreshing tastes these founders’ favourite summer wines offer.
Cheers to a fantastic summer filled with good company and great wine!